Need a break? Check out these 15 things to do in the Greater Lansing, MI area!
Have some downtime between trainings or contingent activities? Looking to sightsee around Lansing and support local businesses? The area has many things to offer — we know because we went all over town checking out things to do. We compiled a list of some of our favorites.
- NCG Eastwood Cinema: This nearby cinema is not your run-of-the-mill movie theater! Offering over 15 different movie choices each day, the cinema offers discounts for groups of 10 or more, as well as a bargain “dinner and a movie” package. A must-see is the popular “Xtreme” viewing experience, featuring an iMax screen, 3D functionality, premium seats and distinctive “Xtreme” sound! Check it out at ncgmovies.com.
- Impression 5 Science Center: Give your Scouts a push to earn STEM merit badges with a trip to this interactive learning center! Impression 5 accommodates over 100,000 visitors annually and features exhibits on the human body, electricity, physics and more! More information can be found at impression5.org.
- Potter Park Zoo: Get out of the city and back into nature with a trip to the downtown Potter Park Zoo. Featuring more than 150 species–including tigers, leopards, foxes and monkeys–you can observe and learn about many animals that you (hopefully) don’t see everyday! Plan a trip today at potterparkzoo.org.
- Eastwood Towne Center: Forget something at home? Need to expand your wardrobe? Look no further than this nearby outdoor mall and shopping center. Offering a number of clothing, sporting goods and department stores and featuring a variety of restaurants, this should be your go to place to become the trendiest person at NOAC.
- Spare Time Entertainment: Looking for some good group activities for your contingent? Consider taking them to Spare Time, where they can play volleyball, bowling, arcade games and even test their agility on the ropes course or the laser maze! With something for everyone, and an attached restaurant to boot, don’t miss this one. Show your Scouts the fun at sparetimelansing.com.
- Ukai Hibachi Grill & Sushi Bar: Looking for an exotic meal during the conference? Combine dining and entertainment at this local hibachi grill, where they prepare your steak and seafood right in front of you. Get your taste of culinary masterpieces here, and check out the menu at iloveukai.com.
- El Azteco Restaurant: Looking for a more southern flavor away from campus? Enjoy some authentic Mexican food at El Azteco, made from fresh ingredients, including blue corn and chiles from New Mexico. The flour tortillas are also prepared fresh at the local tortilleria. This gem has been a staple of East Lansing for over 35 years; find out why and check it out at elazteco.me.
- Meridian Mall: If you need a shopping experience closer to campus, go no further than Meridian Mall. Located just four miles from campus, this mall offers a variety of dining, clothing, health and appliance stores for everything you may need at NOAC. See a full store list and directions here: meridianmall.com.
- Michigan Historical Museum: Find out more about the heritage of the great state of Michigan at the nearby Michigan Historical Museum downtown. Here you will find computer activities, informative presentations and hands-on exhibits all about the storied history of Michigan. Plan your visit at michigan.gov/museum.
- State Capitol Building: Check out the political epicenter of the state, right around the corner at the Michigan State Capitol! This historic building contains more than nine acres of hand-painted surfaces and offers guided tours on weekdays. See more info and group tour options at michigan.org/property/state-capitol-building/.
- Lansing Mall: This mall, proclaimed as “the center of the community,” contains more than 70 stores to cover everyone’s shopping needs! From technology to entertainment to food and drink, this mall is another great nearby option for shopping! Find a full store list at lansingmall.com.
- Old Town Lansing: This quaint downtown area is a great place to grab a bite to eat and people watch. The unique and historic buildings and stores have been revitalized and kept authentic to the original buildings, giving visitors the best overall experience. Take a walk around, grab a cup of coffee or checkout the art galleries at iloveoldtown.org.
- Tom + Chee Gourmet Grilled Cheese: Get a back-to-basics meal with a good-old-fashioned grilled cheese and tomato soup at Tom + Chee. This franchise–a winning contestant from shark tank–has also had their original “Grilled Cheese Donut” featured on The Chew, Man v. Food Nation and even the Today show. Check out all of their takes on the childhood classic at tomandchee.com.
- Capital Prime: This upscale steak & seafood restaurant, located close to campus, is a classy way to take in the local flavor. If you are looking for a great lunch or dinner place, or just want to get away from the hectic dorm cafeterias, this is the place to go! Menu and directions can be found at capitalprimelansing.com.
- Spartan Hall of Fame Café: Looking to celebrate the university that was kind enough to host our centennial celebration? Check out the sports memorabilia from great moments in MSU history and at the same time enjoy some great food and a whole host of TVs. Go Green, Go White and support the Spartans with a trip to this landmark café! Check it out at spartanhalloffamecafe.com.
Take a moment to support the local community with a trip to one or more of these areas! Thank you in advance for supporting the City of Lansing and for thanking the area for all that they have done in support of this conference.